Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thanksgiving Leftover Soup

My father-in-law gave me a tasty tip and I thought I'd share it with all of you busy moms out there. Throw all of your Turkey Day leftovers - I mean everything from the casseroles to the mashed potatoes swimming in butter and gravy - into a big pot. Add some chicken stock and let it all simmer for a few hours. Viola! You have a delicious soup that requires very little work. He even told me to use the cranberry sauce, but we didn't have any of that on hand. What did end up making it into my pot was turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole, just a dollop or so of gravy, as well as a handful of frozen corn and some chicken-apple-sausage and rice leftovers I was tired of seeing in the freezer. I admit I was a little skeptical, but the end product, while it appeared less than appetizing in its grey and lumpy form, was delicious. My preschooler and husband gobbled it up.

I shared this idea with a friend and she said it sounded like her mom's infamous "Must Go Soup." Once a week her mom would clear out all the leftovers in the refrigerator and toss them into a pot with chicken stock and then serve bowls of the mystery soup to her family. I asked my friend if it was good. "Sometimes, yes," she replied. "And sometimes, definitely not."

Well, I assure you the Thanksgiving Leftover Soup was tasty. (I've come a long way from my former vegetarian days.) Enjoy!

No comments: