Sunday, October 14, 2007

Lend A Hand

I love how kids take everything literally. Like tonight when Madeline and I were flipping through a Sesame Street publication and we stumbled across a craft activity that involved turning your child's hand into a turkey.

"Tomorrow we can make your hand into a turkey," I told her, showing how Elmo had transformed his fuzzy, red palm and fingers into a feathered friend.

"No! I don't want to!" Not quite the reaction I expected from our artistic little one.

"Why not?" I asked.

"I don't want my hand to be a turkey. I want to keep my hand."

"Oh no, Maddy. We just trace your hand and then turn it into a turkey."

"I'll still have my hand?"

"Yes, Honey."

"Oh! I see."

Poor thing thought she was going to lose a hand all for the sake of hokey, kids art.

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

I just got this craft book that shows how you can paint your hand to make it look like an elephant, turkey, or another animal. I guess Maddy really wouldn't like that!! (and since I don't like the messy factor, we probably won't be doing it at our house, either!)