Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Doctors Know Best

Doctors, not always moms, are wellsprings of sundry knowledge as these two recent exchanges between my 3-year-old and me illustrate:

Madeline: OW! It hurts! [referring to a boo-boo that starts to sting while she’s eating pineapple chunks]

Me: That’s because pineapple is a citrus fruit and they’re tangy and can make boo-boos sting.

A brief pause ensues as Madeline looks at me with admiration.

Madeline: You’re like a doctor because you know so much.

On another day…

Madeline: See that, Mommy? That holds water, right?

Me: What? I'm not sure what you're talking about. [I’m driving and trying to pay attention to the road.]

Madeline: That - over there.

Me: Over where?

Madeline: Over there. That blue thing.

Finally, it dawns on me. I notice the blue bulbous water tower standing high above the tree line. We recently passed the tower when Daddy was in the car. Madeline asked what it was and Daddy explained that it was a water tower that held water.

Me: Oh, the water tower.

Madeline: Yeah. Mommy, you’re not like a doctor. I’m like a doctor because I know things that you don’t.

No comments: